Bernard Alan B. Racoma, Ph.D.
Contact: bbracoma[at] up.edu.ph
PhD in Meteorology (University of the Philippines Diliman, 2023)
PhD in Atmosphere, Oceans and Climate (University of Reading, United Kingdom, ongoing)
MS Geology (University of the Philippines Diliman, 2016)
BS Applied Physics (University of the Philippines, Diliman, 2011)
Head: GeoSTORM: GeoSpatial Techniques for Observation and Research in Meteorology
- Numerical Weather Prediction
- Tropical Cyclones
- Extreme Weather
- Disaster Risk Reduction and Mitigation
- Geographic Information Systems
- Remote Sensing
On-going Research Projects
- Project Staff, DOST-PCIEERD funded project on “Analysis of tropical cyclone rapid intensification in the Philippines: its characteristics, impacts, and future projections”
- Env Sci 1 (Environment and Society)
- Env Sci 265.1 (Remote Sensing)
- Meteo 101 (General Meteorology)
- Meteo 231 (Dynamic Meteorology)
- Meteo 296 (Graduate Seminar)
- Bagtasa, G., & Racoma, B. A. (2023). Does the Sierra Madre Mountain Range in Luzon Act as a Barrier to Typhoons? Philippine Journal of Science, 152 (S1), 63–77. https://philjournalsci.dost.gov.ph/publication/special-issues/meteorology/121-vol-152-no-s1-meteorology/1888-does-the-sierra-madre-mountain-range-in-luzon-act-as-a-barrier-to-typhoons
- Racoma, B. A. B., Holloway, C. E., Schiemann, R. K. H., Feng, X., & Bagtasa, G. (2023). The Effect of the Cordillera Mountain Range on Tropical Cyclone Rainfall in the Northern Philippines. Atmosphere, 14(4), https://doi.org/10.3390/atmos14040643
- Racoma, B. A. B., Klingaman, N. P., Holloway, C. E., Schiemann, R. K. H., & Bagtasa, G. (2021). Tropical cyclone characteristics associated with extreme precipitation in the northern Philippines. International Journal of Climatology, https://doi.org/10.1002/joc.7416
- Lagmay, M., & Racoma, B. A. (2019). Lessons from tropical storms Urduja and Vinta disasters in the Philippines. Disaster Prevention and Management: An International Journal. https://doi.org/10.1108/DPM-03-2018-0077
- Ybañez, R., Racoma, B.A., Ybañez, A.A., Balangue-Tarriela, M.I.R. (2018). Flood Susceptibility Assessment of Mt. Makiling, Philippines Using Two-Dimensional Meteorological and Hydrological Modelling. Philippine Journal of Science, 147 (3), 463-471
- Lagmay, A.M., Racoma, B.A., Aracan, K.A., Alconis-Ayco, J., & Saddi, I.L. (2017). Disseminating near-real-time hazards information and flood maps in the Philippines through Web-GIS. Journal of Environmental Sciences 59, 13-23. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.jes.2017.03.014
- Racoma, B.A., David, C.P., Crisologo, I. A., Bagtasa, G., (2016), The Change in Rainfall from Tropical Cyclones due to Orographic Effect of the Sierra Madre Mountain Range in Luzon, Philippines. Philippine Journal of Science, 145 (4), 313-326 https://philjournalsci.dost.gov.ph/home-1/50-vol-145-no-4-december-2016/617-the-change-in-rainfall-from-tropical-cyclones-due-to-orographic-effect-of-the-sierra-madre-mountain-range-in-luzon-philippines
- Lagmay, A. M. F., Bagtasa, G., Crisologo, I. A., Racoma, B. A. B., & David, C. P. C. (2015). Volcanoes magnify Metro Manila’s southwest monsoon rains and lethal floods. Frontiers in Earth Science, 2. http://doi.org/10.3389/feart.2014.00036
- Heistermann, M., Crisologo, I., Abon, C. C., Racoma, B. A., Jacobi, S., Servando, N. T., David, C. P., & Bronstert, A. (2013). Brief communication: Using the new Philippine radar network to reconstruct the “Habagat of August 2012” monsoon event around Metropolitan Manila. Natural Hazards and Earth System Science, 13 (3), 653–657. http://doi.org/10.5194/nhess-13-653-2013
- Racoma, B.A., Crisologo I.A., David, C.P. (2015). Accumulation-based Advection Field for Rainfall Nowcasting. Journal of the Philippine Geosciences and Remote Sensing Society, 1(1),21-26,
- David, C. C., Racoma, B. B., Gonzales J., and Clutario M. (2013). A Manifestation of Climate Change? A Look at Typhoon Yolanda in Relation to the Historical Tropical Cyclone Archive. Science Diliman, 25, No 2. 79-86
- Thesis/dissertation writing, advising, and paneling techniques. Organized by International Association of Scholarly Publishers, Editors, and Reviewers, Inc. Online. 3-4 October 2022.
- Introduction to the WRF modelling system. m2lab.org. Online course. 16-19 June 2020
- Introduction to the Unified Model with Rose and Cylc. National Centre for Atmospheric Science, National Environment Research Council. University of Reading, Berkshire, United Kingdom. 3-5 April 2019.
- NASA Land Cover/Land Use Change (LC/LUC) SARI Advanced Training in Remote Sensing and Geospatial Technologies. Organized by Institute of Environmental Science and Meteorology, University of the Philippines Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines. 31 May – 2 June 2018.
- Malaysia Window to Cambridge at Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia: Training Workshop on the Predictability of Extreme Weather Events. Malaysian Meteorological Department, Petaling Jaya, Malaysia. 13-16 November 2017
- 2017 Advanced Institute on Disaster Risk Reduction with Systems Approach for Slow-Onset Climate Disasters (AI-SOCD): Air Pollution, Sensors, and Big Data. Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan. 10-14 July 2017
- Southeast Asia International Joint-Research and Training Program (SEAIP) 2015: Cloud Computing & Internet of Things. Organized by National Applied Research Laboratories National Center for High-Performance Computing, Ministry of Science and Technology, Taiwan. 7-10 December 2015
- 8th KAGI21 International Spring School: Kyoto University Active Geosphere Investigations for the 21st Century. Kyoto University, Japan. 3-10 March 2015
- International Training Programme on Flood Risk Mapping, Modeling and Assessment using Space Technology. Jointly organized by CSSTEAP, UNOOSA/UN-SPIDER, UNESCAP and IWMI. Dehradun, India, 22-26 July 2013.
- Training Course on Flood Modeling and Lidar Analysis. Conducted in DOST-PAGASA by ITC and GIZ. Metro Manila, Philippines, 20-31 May 2013.
- Doppler Weather RADAR Processing and Flood Modeling Training. Conducted in Universität Potsdam, Germany. February 2012